Thursday, February 13, 2014

Woven Cup Cozy by Lhea Hamilton

Today I decided to try out a new cup cozy.  It's been awhile since I made one and I was long overdue.  Besides, I need a new one for cup since the rubber one that was around it broke off.  I received the Woven Cup Cozy from Lhea Hamilton and decided to give it a shot.

Before working a pattern, I've made it a habit to read through the entire thing first.  If you don't already do this yourself, I highly recommend it.  It gives you the opportunity to make sure you are familiar with all of the stitches and techniques used, as well as to be sure that you have all of the materials you need on hand before beginning.

The first thing I noticed was that all of the stitches seem simple enough that even a beginner could handle this pattern.  The other thing I noticed immediately is that there was no gauge given.  I've learned that gauging is a huge necessity for me before I start a pattern because I tend to crochet tighter than most patterns are gauged for, causing me to have to use a larger hook.  The last thing I noticed about the pattern, which isn't a pro or con, is that I would have liked to have seen a larger photo of the finished product on the pattern.  That is completely a preference thing though - as a photography hobbiest, I love pictures.  :)

On to the pattern - Lhea did a great job of giving step-by-step instructions that were clear and easy to understand.  She even included a link on how to work the Basketweave Stitch.  I hadn't actually worked this stitch before but the link wasn't needed because her instructions were written so well.  The pattern worked up quickly and is going to be a great go-to for last minute gifts for all of my coffee-loving friends!!

If you decide to give this pattern a try, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Third Loop Method, also known as using the Horizontal Bar.  Check our Stitch Techniques page out because we'll be adding instructions soon!

To purchase your own copy of Lhea's Woven Cup Cozy, visit the Nomadi Crafts shop on Ravelry or Etsy.  Lhea Hamilton has been crocheting for over 10 years, starting after her grandfather taught her the basics.  The name of her shop, Nomadi Crafts, was inspired by crocheting being a hobby that she could take with her wherever she travelled.  This is one of her first of what we hope will be many written patterns by Lhea.  Be sure to follow her on Facebook for future designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment