Monday, January 4, 2016

2016 Hodge Podge Afghan Sampler CAL - Square 1

On January 1st, Hodge Podge Crochet released the first square in this year's afghan crochet-along.  I, of course, didn't realize it until last night.  Don't you love when the New Year starts off in total chaos... LOL.  Fortunately for me, the first square is a "simple" single crochet swatch.

Yeah... it's so simple that sometimes I forget how tough it can be to do a simple square swatch.  After 3 attempts, I finally met the correct gauge.  This CAL is meant to work each square in a single color, which I figured would be perfect for using up some of those small balls of yarn that aren't large enough for a project but are too small to just throw out.  That meant I underestimated how much yarn a single crochet swatch can eat up and had to start it a second time with a different color.

In the end, I was able to complete the square and officially have Square 1 of the Hodge Podge Afghan Sampler CAL done.  I have already wet blocked the square, though a second wet block is likely going to be necessary.  I love the way the red looks with the Aubergine that I'll be using to border each square.  What do you think?


If you're interested in joining in with the Hodge Podge CAL, it's not too late - things have just started!  You can find more information via the FB group here and download the instructions for Square 1 here.

Square 2 was released today and is in progress... look for another post tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment